Friday, November 27, 2009

Something Big

Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, I hooked something big. Up until then I had caught six or seven white fish and expected this fish to be another. But it barely moved. It swam up enough that I could see a flash right when it struck but then stayed right on the bottom of the river to sulk. I would pull downstream; then upstream and it would only move enough to show it was still hooked. I had never had a fish act like this before. It wouldn’t budge. It also didn’t shake its head so I knew it wasn’t a white fish. It did move upstream a little so I knew it wasn’t just a log. Logs don’t move upstream, just downstream. Finally the line broke. My bad! I pulled too hard. I should have gone after it with the net since it was staying put in about 3 feet of water. And I should not have pulled so hard, but rather keep the line tight and wait to see if it would take off. I’m excited to get back to that same spot and try for it again.

A little later after the sun went down, I caught a medium sized brown of about 13 inches, the first trout of the day. I checked what it was eating with a stomach pump – scuds. Exactly what I had been using and what the huge fish had taken.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOPS too many spelling errors on the comment, so this is the corrected version.

    Nothing ever gets away from you, but I know you. You will get a chance to snag him another time. PS, I'll preview before I post next time.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow- the day before thanksgivig- that's awesome! nick's been talking a lot lately about being there in the winter... maybe sometime :) hope you get it next time!

    ReplyDelete