Sunday, November 8, 2009

Clinch Knot

The Clinch Knot is my knot of choice for tying the fly to the tippet. It is easy enough to tie that there is no problem tying it in low light or with cold fingers. It is also very strong and dependable.

To tie the clinch knot simply put the tippet through the eye of the hook, twist it around itself 6 or 7 times, bring the end through the loop that these twists made right next to the eye of the hook and pull tight.

I do not use the improved clinch knot. I feel it adds an unnecessary step that makes the knot more difficult to tie. Instead I add one more twist and leave a small tag. For several years, OK…decades, I used the improved clinch knot. Then I noticed one of my guides not doing the final step of the improved clinch knot. This surprised me and got me thinking. As a kid I never used the improved version and never had a problem.

I use 6 or 7 twists, never only 5. I never scrimp on the amount of leader I use to make the knot. I make an ample loop before twisting so it will be easy to put the end through it. Pinching the loop between your thumb and forefinger helps in this regard. One thing critical with this knot is to moisten it before pulling tight. I hold the tag end against the fly itself as I pull tight. Help the twists cinch up by pushing the twists toward the eye of the hook when beginning to tighten. This helps make the line not have any kinks in it near the knot.

1 comment:

  1. Well I don't personally fish... but my hubby says he agrees:)
    Sara

    ReplyDelete