Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Grand Slam on the Weber River

Have I mentioned that fall is my favorite season for fishing? Yesterday evening was no exception. I tied on a yellow glo bug as my point fly and an orange glo bug as a dropper. The water is a bit lower now so I put on a smaller split shot and a smaller thingamabobber (brand of strike indicator) than I usually use.

Within an hour I had caught 9 white fish. I was happy with the number of fish but puzzled that I hadn’t caught any trout. Then the sun went down. The next fish I caught was a 17 inch brown. I proceeded to catch a few more browns, including a nice one that jumped three times, a rainbow and one more white fish. The last brown I caught was small and I brought it in too fast and it really tangled up the line wiggling in my hand. After it settled down and I was able to remove the hook from its mouth with a pair of hemostats, I noticed the dropper line was tangled up more than I wanted to deal with, with it being so dark. I cut the dropper line off, tangle and all. I turned around to cast with just the one fly left on my line. It was then that it dawned on me that my sun glasses were still on. I removed my sunglasses, letting them dangle loose around my neck on the lanyard. Amazingly, it wasn’t so dark after all. There would still be time to fish around the next bend in the river, if I hurry.

I cast up under a large tree where the water was deeper with what would end up being my last cast. I hooked what I could tell was a nice fish. After a short fight I brought it to shore. Wow! A cutthroat…Grand Slam!!! I had managed to catch, in the last hour before dark, all the species of fish available in this section (between Echo and Rockport Reservoirs) of the Weber River: brown, rainbow, cutthroat and of course white fish. At least on of each was 16 inches long. With a smile on my face, I picked up some garbage that I noticed on the shore and hurried back to the car just before darkness set in.

It amazes me every trip to the Weber or Provo Rivers how great the fishing is just a half hour out of my way on the way home from work.

3 comments:

  1. Yep! This is exactly why you moved your family to Utah. I'm glad you get to do what you love most.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.

    I hate fish but you make fishing sound fun.

    On a side note, I drove home one day extremely worried about the dark clouds in the sky and how early it was getting dark. Sunglasses were on. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey tif mentioned you on her blog with a link to this blog:)

    ReplyDelete