Thursday, November 5, 2009

Knots / Surgeon’s Knot

Knots are usually the weakest link between you and the fish in your terminal tackle. Knots are extremely critical in your success at landing your fish. Take care to tie them properly. I’ll explain each of the types of knots I use and provide tips on making the best of them.

Surgeon’s Knot

The surgeon’s knot is one of my favorite knots. It is very easy to tie and is strong and effective. The knot is just an overhand knot repeated two or three times. I use this knot when tying two pieces of leader or tippet together, like when tying 4X fluorocarbon tippet to your 2 or 3X monofilament leader. It even works well with different diameters of leader.

The surgeon’s knot is easy enough to tie you can tie it in low light or with cold hands. The double surgeons knot is usually adequate. When I’m using this knot with a dropper, I use a triple knot. I use the top end of the added tippet material to tie on the dropper fly and then trim the bottom portion. This makes the dropper stick out slightly from the leader and causes less twisting.

As with most knots, lubricate when pulling the knot tight and make sure you pull on all four parts, including the tag end you will trim. I trim the tag all the way on this knot.

1 comment: