Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Typical Nymphing Rig

My typical nymphing rig starts with a 9 foot 3X tapered monofilament leader. Umpqua and RIO are the usual brands I use. This tapered leader is tied to the fly line with a needle knot.

About six inches from the end of the tapered leader I tie on a 4 to 6 inch dropper of 4X fluorocarbon tippet with a triple surgeon’s knot. I use the top end of the tippet to tie on the fly and trim off the bottom end. So tie it with the long end going back up the tapered leader. This way the dropper stays out away from the leader better.

At the end of the tapered leader I tie on one more piece, about 15 inches long, of 4X tippet material to be used for another dropper and for the split shot. This piece is tied on in the middle with another triple surgeon’s knot. On the upper end tie the fly and on the lower end, place a double overhand knot at the end. Place the needed spit shot right above the overhand knot. Ideally the upper end with the fly should be 5 or 6 inches long and the lower end with the split shot should be 6 to 9 inches long.

The flies I tie on with a clinch knot. I place a strike indicator about 1.5 to 2 times the depth of the water above the split shot.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Nice drawing! I'll have to make sure my hubby gets a chance to see that. Fall is also his favorite time to go fishing. But we really don't have any where here to go. That's why he tried so hard to go out there with you at the end of september:)

    ReplyDelete