Tuesday, August 31, 2010

More Thoughts On Streamers


Last week I was fishing with Jordan. We were mostly nymph fishing but I brought the streamer rod along just for teaching another style of fishing. We had a few strikes with nymphs but the fish didn’t seem real active and we hadn’t landed any yet. After we had fished one hole thoroughly with nymphs, I grabbed the streamer rod to teach Jordan how to streamer fish.







Within the first few casts, a big brown came up from the depths and tried to hit the streamer just as I was pulling it up to start the next cast. This started my adrenaline running. This was a big fish and we hadn’t seen much action until then. A few casts later an even bigger brown hit the streamer right at the surface. This was exciting to see such a big fish hit the fly right at the surface.




I wasn’t able to hook the fish but this experience convinced me that I need to always make sure I give streamers a chance. I like to nymph fish upstream and streamer fish downstream. One idea is to fish upstream until I’m ready to turn back and head to the car. On the return trip, while leaving a little early to give me time to fish, streamer fish downstream. This is usually late in the evening when the larger fish go on the prowl and the insects have stopped hatching anyway. Another thought is to do what Jordan and I did on this trip. After fishing each hole thoroughly with nymphs, quickly fish it with streamers. I will experiment with these methods and see which one seems to work best.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking brown. I like strreamer-fishing too,the hits are more explosive I think. Sounds like you have a pretty good system down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah good idea- 2 birds with one stone :)

    ReplyDelete