Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Sportsman’s Expo

Every year about the middle of March the Sportsman’s Expo is held at the South Town Expo Center. This is a fun event worth going to for any outdoor sportsman. Every year I find something new that makes the visit worth it.

For a couple of years I brought my daughter Madison and we got our pictures taken holding baby bears. Her favorite thing was the roasted almonds.

Last year I took Karen. She got a free camo T-shirt and loved the big trucks.

You can get brochures from outdoor agencies. The brochures give me a couple of month’s worth of reading material. I always make sure I get the Fishing regulations for Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.

I usually pick up a couple of duffle bags. One year when Sara’s family was here I brought up a big duffle bag to give her husband Nick for father’s day. Little Nick and Lilly took turns getting inside it. It was also the perfect bag to take to Yellowstone. I bought a smaller, camo duffle bag last year that I use for all my trips. Of course, at the Expo they always give you great “show” prices.

One year, I was talking to the Hyde Drift Boats sales rep and found out that the show prices for new boats were the same price as the used boats that I had been considering. So, of course I bought a drift boat at these great “show” prices.

One of the most unusual things I have bought at the show was an alligator head. I gave it to my son Gary, but when he got married he gave it back. It will make a great décor for my new fly fishing den.


This year Jon and I met up at the show. Fish Pimp (A brand of strike indicator) had a booth and were giving away free baseball hats if you bought some Fish Pimps at one of their distributors. I also picked up some coupons for great deals on guided Green River Fishing Trips from the Flaming Gorge Lodge. I have used their guide serving before and have really enjoyed floating the river with a guide. I will write about those trips in a future blog.

1 comment:

  1. wow that does not even look like madi now at all! we still use that huge bag for everything. thanks. you'll have to show us that alligator head when we come out- i don't remember it- sounds awesome though. hey next year if you know the dates in advance i should fly nick out to go with you- he would just love it!

    ReplyDelete