Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fish Pimp Evaluation


Thursday’s forecast was that the day would be the warmest it had been all year. Kind of the opposite of the last time I went out. The night before, I had rigged up with a size 22 WD-40 and a size 22 Rainbow Warrior. The last time I had hit the Weber River this combination worked well. This time, however, I rigged a large Fish Pimp strike indicator in the dead drift/90 degree angle method.
This was done by (before tying on the flies) threading the leader through the rubber tubing and threading the leader through the hole that had been drilled on the side of the indicator. Then sliding these two items up to the desired spot on the leader and stretching the tubing (with the line inside) so it will fit along the slit the whole way. This will form a loop in the leader going down through the hole.

Even with the great weather, there was not another car parked near the access point. Sometimes I hear complaints about the crowds on the river, but it always amazes me on a day with such great weather and a river with excellent fishing that there aren’t more people out. I hiked down river quite a ways so I could fish my way back up stream. I started out with one BB split shot and the large indicator seemed to float just fine. After a few casts I caught a real small, 4 or 5 inch brown. It is good to see future generations of trout doing well in the river. The hooking of this fish caused the loop of leader on the indicator to pull through and free the indicator to slide down the line. I didn’t realize this for a couple of casts and wondered why the indicator was so close to the flies. I slipped the tube and indicator back up the leader and re-placed them where I wanted. After catching a few more fish I realized it was a pain to have to re-rig the indicator after every fish. Now if I wasn’t catching many fish this may be OK, but hopefully, this isn’t the case. When I added another split shot because I wanted to fish some deeper water the indicator stayed afloat, sort of. As long as the split shot didn’t tap the bottom it stayed afloat, but as the sinkers tapped the bottom the indicator would go underwater. Never the less, I still caught a few more browns from the deeper water.

Next I tried the large Fish Pimp without the 90 degree angle setup. In order to do this I had to cut off both flies, and take off the two split shot. This is a pain to do. After tying on two new flies and placing the split shot back on, I placed the indicator on the leader. This is done by sliding the leader into the slit on the indicator, taking the tubing and twisting it once or twice and stretching it at the same time, placing it into the indicator’s slit. This will then hold the indicator in place. This worked well and I didn’t have to reposition the indicator after every fish. I do like the fact that with either method, the Fish Pimp doesn’t kink the line.

7 comments:

  1. Ok. This is too much detail for me because I am not a type 2 fisherman,so I'm glad you had the pictures so I could understand the fish pimp. And here I thought it was just some pimpin' fish lingo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i am glad you had a nice day and a nice time :) good pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like a pain to re-adjust the indicator after every fish. For you that is a lot of adjusting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, this is another example of when the fishing lingo just doesn't match up with what I was picturing in my mind. There were no feather boa hats, shiny suits or teal and lime suits. Total shock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very informative. I was wondering how the fish pimp would do on the river. Glad to see that you had a good time testing it out. Now blog about your lunker brown that you just caught. I would love to see a good photo of that monster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use a "cork" and also, (as suggested) vary the # of split shot based on desired depth as it relates to the velocity of river current. In strong streams, often I use an anchor weight with multiple hook lines attached to a single wire leader. This method enables me to offer food choices at varying depths. Again the slip line cork provides an "alerting mechanism" that signals the caught fish.
    Out traditional motto is: "Don't just go fishing, go catching!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Often along a deep river, above wader depths I have been known to tie weighted lines to willow branches using the "cork method" to establish the "strike zones"; split shot are incorporated along those lines to adjust to the depth of the desired "strike zone"....then "goat's bells are tied to each willow branch using a 12" piece of nylon twine tied firmly in order to secure the bell in place to the tip of the willow branch. Thusly, a "plaid picnic blanket is spread nearby (within earshot) of the goat's bells, and a handy grilling device is then implemented so as to provide smoke which permeates the otherwise pristine freshness of the air along the chosen stream (or river)as the case may be.

    ReplyDelete