Saturday, April 10, 2010

Zorro Strikes Again

Friday was a cold and windy day. A storm was coming in and should be just right for fishing. With day light savings time, I can leave work, hit the river on the way home and get in a couple hours fishing before dark. It wasn’t supposed to start
snowing until 8:00. I pulled the hood of my jacket over my head to protect my ears from the cold wind. I was using my 9 foot, 4 weight LL Sage this time but still using size 22 nymphs, a midge emerger and a WD-40. I put on one BB size split and a small Fish Pimp strike indicator that I had purchased at the Sportsmen’s Expo. The indicator was constantly being pulled under the water by the weight of the split shot and it was tough to detect a strike. After a few minutes of this I put on a large Fish Pimp. On the first cast I hooked a nice size brown. It fought hard in the fast current but as I got him close to shore, he managed to get off. I worked my way downstream and as I got to some deeper holes I added a second split shot. The large Fish Pimp wasn’t able to keep afloat with the two BB size split shots so I switched to a medium size thingamabobber. I will experiment more with the Fish Pimps on other trips when it isn’t so cold and windy. I ended up catching a few more browns and one white fish.

My last and largest brown was caught in fast, shallow water right next to deeper water near a bend. The trout had a scar on its side that looked like it had been hit by Zorro. I don’t recall any episodes of Zorro where he had taken up fly fishing.

2 comments:

  1. wow talk about not wasting any time!
    lol i wondered what zorro had to do with your fish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You really can make good use of your fishing hours. So funny about the Zorro scar. My littlest LOVES to dress up as Zorro.

    ReplyDelete