Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Cows Joined Me In The River


Monday evening was a very windy, but nicely overcast day. I decided to try streamer fishing and took off downstream with my 9 and a half foot Sage rigged with a large green, red, and white streamer. I placed a BB size split shot just above the fly to help it sink into the deep holes. After a few casts, I felt a hard strike and could see a flash underwater near my fly. But no luck, even though I quickly tried to set the hook, I didn’t get a solid hookup. I kept casting toward the far shore as I worked my way, hole to hole, downstream. I kept getting hits, but I never hooked any. I switched to a black, rabbit fur streamer and placed a slightly larger split shot above the fly. Soon I had another strike, just past a large boulder, but again, it didn’t hook. By now, I had fished downstream about as far as I wanted so I cut the streamer off and re-rigged for nymphing.

During the early winter I had good luck with size 16 scuds and Rainbow Warriors. I tried these first, heading upstream. No luck. I wondered, last year I remember having great fishing in the spring right before run off. What was I using then? I had been used to using smaller than size 20 nymphs on the Provo River and was using this same size on the Weber.

I cut off both of the size 16 flies I was using and tied on a size 22 WD-40 and size 22 Rainbow Warrior, both with bead heads. Within 10 minutes I had caught two 16 inch browns and one 17 inch cutthroat. The next fish hooked me up at the bottom of a boulder and my line snapped. At this moment I noticed a few young cows staring at me watching the excitement. In fact, after a couple of minutes the cows decided I was having so much fun in the water that they went ahead and hopped in the river too.

2 comments:

  1. You used to take either our girls or our boys fishing, but now you just take cows. At least it looks like they are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto. i was going to say exactly what he said ^^. took the words right out of my mouth.

    ReplyDelete