Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 2 of the Beaverhead - 100 Posts!

Note: I just noticed that that last post was my 100th post.  I started this blog on August 29, 2009.  This has been a great year of fishing.  I hope everyone has enjoyed these adventures with me.  Thanks everyone for your reading this blog and especially thanks for all your comments.

The second day Jon and I headed to the stretch a mile above High Bridge just below where I-15 crosses the river.  This is the stretch where I caught so many large rainbows last year.  These rainbows look like steelhead.  Jon and I tried our hardest but only caught a few 15 to 16 inchers.  There was a guide who had two female clients in his boat.  They were catching some large trout so I asked him what they were using, small hare’s ear – go figure, the most generic nymph there is.  Jon and I tried these and still, we could only coax the small ones into biting.

There was one other angler parked where we were fishing.  He was fishing with dries.  He recommended we try down by Organ Pipe.  This was a bum steer.  This water was slow, featureless and muddy. 
We next headed to Henneberry Walk-in Access.  This was a great section.  Rocky bottom, clear water and the river was braided here so there were lots of features.  It was also easy wading.  We ended up catching a lot here.  No big ones, but still a lot of fun fish.  
 When the sun went down we switched to streamers.  I had a large one hit but it didn’t get hooked.  It was still exciting to see this larger fish hit a streamer.  Jon and I fished back downstream past were the trail headed to the truck.  Then we headed back.  Placing our boots and waders back into the plastic Rubbermaid boxes we went back to Sparky’s for dinner.  The pulled pork was great and we shared a mud pie, yummy!!!. 

3 comments:

  1. 100 posts in just over a year. That's more than one a week! Great pics. I'm glad you caught a few. I don't think these fish would be considered small on any other river. Perhaps just on this trip. (PS Thanks for helping me with the pumpkin dinner tonight.) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on all the great blogs. I appreciate the entertainment and the education. The pics have been good too. I remember catching my first big rainbow in that same spot in that second picture. Fun place. Still jealous of the sweet potatoe fries.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow 100 posts! i can't believe you have been doing this for over a year already!
    sounds like a nice trip :)

    ReplyDelete