Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bass and Blue Gill in Cincinnati


My writing has been a little sparse lately, sorry about that. I had flown to my home town, Richland Washington, to help welcome my nephew, Lance Rhoten, home from his mission to Mexico. Then I flew to Cincinnati to bless my latest grandchild, Max Hosler. Before you think I had missed fishing for a week, let me tell you about my fishing in Cincinnati.

I had gone with my daughter’s family to Nick's Grandma Mary’s house for dinner. She has a pond in her backyard and Nick happened to bring his fishing gear so I gave it a try. I managed to fish completely around the pond before the bell rang for dinner. The fishing was great. I caught four bass and a huge Blue Gill. The Blue Gill in this pond are the biggest I’ve seen anywhere. They look like the ones that are in the Cabella’s warm water tanks that you think you’d never see in real life.

Walking around the pond, frogs would jump from the shore into the water and burry themselves under the mud so they couldn’t be seen. I imagine quite a few of these frogs end up being dinner for the bass in the pond.

After dinner, as it was getting dark, I tried a few more casts and caught another bass. These bass fight hard and make the fish so fun to catch.

4 comments:

  1. It is a nice little place to catch a few fish, especially with the kids. They all have caught their first fish there. Spring time blue gill fishing is the most fun. Poppers on the surface is good fun for bass too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post! glad you had so much luck! it was so awesome to have you out here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way, next time you go for a little stretch without fishing for a while... you should go backwards and post some past fishing experiences from your pre-blog days :) those would be fun to hear too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the grandkids fishing with you. I love the Blue Gill Fish. I haven't ever seen one. I'm glad you had fun fishing in the pond.

    ReplyDelete