Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Nymphing then streamer Fishing Routine



Friday evening I tried the routine where I nymph fished for the first half of the trip and then streamer fished the last half, right before dark.

This evening the water was a little high and murky but nonetheless, nymph fishing yielded me seven fish between 5:00 and 6:30. Three were Brown Trout between 12 and 15 inches. Four were white fish, 10 to 16 inches.


I fished streamers between 6:30 and 8:00. I only caught two small browns, 9 and 12 inches. This was kind of the opposite of what I expected. I expected to catch one or two 17 to 19 inchers. But this isn’t the whole story.


In the same stretch where I nymph fished, I had a large fish hit the streamer and stay on for a couple of seconds. Then a little further downstream where I had also nymphed, I saw on large trout follow the streamer. I noticed it just as I pulled the streamer from the water to re-cast. Further downstream, further than I had nymphed, I had another large trout hit the streamer.




So the number of hits from big trout were what I expected, I just couldn’t connect with any. My thoughts are that the fish either hit the tail of the fly below the hook or they hit the head of the fly above the hook. Next time I will try a streamer that has two hooks to see if this will improve the hookups.

2 comments:

  1. Good idea to use a streamer with two hooks. You learned a lot and you still caught some fish. I love the pics. The ones looking down into the net are especially cool. The fish looks framed in the net. I hope you get a bit one on a streamer next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice net! nick said that's the kind he wants for christmas!

    ReplyDelete