Thursday, September 9, 2010

I love It When the Trout Cooperate


Sometimes a fishing trip works out perfect. I took Tom and Ron to the Weber River Wednesday evening.

The temperature was in the mid seventies, sunny and no wind.

After donning our Gore-Tex waders, we waded across the river. The water was clear and at normal level. After getting Tom and Ron rigged up with their poles, I flipped a cast out to demonstrate a drag free drift. Immediately a small brown hit the fly, re-enforcing the concept.

OK, second cast. This cast was to demon-
strate mending the line. Again, second cast and another brown trout. It doesn’t get any better than this. Or does it? These first fish were rather small. Let’s cast a little closer to the grass lined bank where the water is somewhat slower.

This is what I’m talking about, an 18 inch brown. This fish jumped several times, and put up a tough fight. I kept it in the faster water to tire it out and didn’t allow it to swim down past the riffles into the next deep hole. After I could tell it was tiring I coaxed it off to the side near the shallow water and scooped it up in the net.

Tom took a great picture of it with his cell phone. We all ended up hooking a few. Ron even caught three of the rare cutthroat. What a gorgeous evening.

1 comment:

  1. Of course honey. A perfect fising evening! I'm glad it all worked out so perfectly! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete