Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ice Augers

A couple of people have recently asked me how I fish through the ice. How do you dig the hole through the ice? I explain, of course, that this is done with an ice auger. It is like a big drill for use on ice. I have a power one run off gas and also a manual one. I usually use the power one, especially if the ice is over a foot thick. On the latest trip to Fish Lake the ice was 20 inches thick so I was glad I had a power one. The trip before that, if you read the post “Ice Fishing at Fish Lake” you will recall that the power auger wouldn’t start and Bill and I had to use a manual one. This worked fine although we did limit the number of holes we drilled because it is a bit more work.

2 comments:

  1. 20 inches thick?! only in utah :)
    the kids always wanna walk across grandmas pond but the ice never gets thick enough. it hasn't at least since nick and i have been married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is my handsome husband drilling a hole in the ice. It makes me glad I was in a warm school teaching all day. All the power to you. I love it because you bring home lots of perch to smoke too.

    ReplyDelete