Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bald Eagles and Turkeys

Upon arriving at the frozen lake this week, there was a bald eagle on a nearby tree that seemed to be waiting for our arrival. It watched as we hiked across the ice but as we started the power auger, it flew away. I love seeing wildlife like this on my fishing trips.

On the drive to the lake and on the way home, Bill and I saw a few wild turkeys. The last wild turkeys I saw were in Zion’s National Park. My family used to see them in Indiana as we drove along the more out of the way roads.



After Bill and I had counted the perch we had caught, to make sure we were only keeping 50 each, and were starting to head back to the truck, two eagles were flying overhead. After we were 30 or 40 feet away from were we were fishing, the birds swooped down to investigate. They were interested in any fish we left behind. Indeed, there was one small perch that we released that wasn’t able to swim back down to the lake depths that the eagles would have found. I’m glad the eagles were able to get a good meal out of it.

2 comments:

  1. wow that's really funny. so i guess when madi said "look at all the turkeys" in our yard in cincinnati she wasn't too far off- just a state and a few years early :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turkeys in Zion's? I wouldn't have guessed it. Sounds like my kind of day too. I love watching eagles. Catching countless fish isn't bad either.

    ReplyDelete