Saturday, September 5, 2009

Nets


Usually I don’t bring a net while I fish the Weber, but I had been catching so many fish the past few times out that I decided to bring one. This turned out to be fortunate because the water is somewhat fast and the fish are able to use the current to there advantage as they head downstream. Rather than spending time wading downstream trying to find a good spot to beach them, I was able to net them without pulling them onto the bank. This meant I was able to land them quicker therefore not run as much risk of losing them. I have a magnetic device hooked on the back of my vest that attaches to the other half of the device which is hooked to the loop part of the net, not the handle. I can reach behind and grab the net handle and with a little jerk, detach the net. The magnetic device works real well and is surprisingly strong. The mesh net portion has markings for measuring fish but causes too much drag in the water. This means that you have to put the net in the water immediately prior to netting the fish, otherwise your arm gets jerked downstream. I will be on the lookout for a net that provides less drag in the water.

1 comment: