Wednesday, March 2, 2011

It’s Finally March

The weather was nice yesterday so I headed out to the Weber River. Within 15 minutes I had my first brown. It was a little skinny but still a nice fish. It took a little grey scud imitation.


After another half hour and no bites I decided to try something different. I tied on a large rubber leg stonefly nymph pattern and a bead head San Juan Worm. Then I added a third dropper, a midge pupa imitation on some 5X fluorocarbon. I immediately caught a huge white fish in some deeper water. It took the stonefly.

I hooked another fish upstream a bit underneath some tree branches. I had it hooked for quite a while but when I tried to pull the fish a little further upstream to some shallow water the hook came out. I moved upstream to one of my favorite stretches and hooked another large white fish.

It sure felt good to be out on the stream again.

3 comments:

  1. wow! i'm so glad you were able to go out finally! i hope the good weather keeps up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that your new rod? Looks good. Great fish. Hope you are able to keep getting out. I have to tell you I am very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was great being able to finally try out the rod I had just built and wrote about. I was pleasantly surprised at how light it is and how effortlessly it casts. It will be a great season!

    ReplyDelete