Monday, November 8, 2010

One Brown On A Streamer


The fall is my favorite time of year for fishing. The browns get feisty right before the spawn. For this reason I decided to give streamer fishing a try last week. The Weber water level was average for this time of year. In mid October the water level dropped from about 180 cfs to about 70cfs. This drop usually happens in mid September. It seems this year things are running a little later than usual.

Within the first 20 minutes I caught one nice 16 or 17 inch brown. I was excited that this would be a good evening. After not getting another strike for 20 minutes, I switched streamers. The first one I was using was green rubber leg streamer. I switched to a yellow one, still no strikes. I kept switching streamers every half hour. I had no more strikes the rest of the evening until the last few minutes. I switched to a green Dungeon and finally hooked one. The fish started swimming upstream toward me. As I stripped the line in, it got off. Checking the hook, there was a scale on it. I must have foul-hooked a big white fish. At least that added some excitement. By this time it was 6:40 and starting to get dark. I was a long way downstream by this point and needed to hurry if I was to get back to the truck by dark.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Howard,
    Isn't that the rod you just built? The one lying by the fish on that last pic? I believe it is. Glad it worked out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fall is nick's favorite time to fish too! he was finally able to go on a fishing trip this week to catch some browns too. i think you will be gone on your next fishing trip the same days too :)
    hehe

    ReplyDelete