Sunday, January 10, 2010

More Exercises for Fly Fishing

What does exercise have to do with fly fishing? How many of you want to fish more as you get older or when you retire? I believe staying in shape is a way to ensure this. Even this past year I have noticed that I enjoy fishing more since I have been working out regularly. I can hustle a mile or so down stream to a good fishing hole or to get further away from the crowds and not feel worn out. Or wade upstream fishing for hours without feeling tired. As I get older, staying in shape will pay off even more. My grandpa lived to be over 100 years old. That adds up to a lot of days fishing.


The majority of the exercises I do are aerobic exercises that keep my heart rate up for an extended period of time. At the same time they are low impact so my joints don’t have problems. I have had friends who kept in shape by running outside several miles a day who, in their later years, have had knee problems. So I don’t overdo it and I stay low impact. Using an elliptical, tread mill or stationary bike is a great way to go. One thing I like about ellipticals is that they also provide an upper body workout with the handles. I alternate between the exercise equipment. Often what I will do is run a mile on the treadmill to get my heart rate up and then do two miles on the elliptical. Three miles in 30 minutes is a good pace for me, but pick whatever pace is right for you. A good fast walk for 30 or 40 minutes is also adequate. I often go on walks with my wife in the evenings when the weather is nice. Four or five times per week is a good frequency. I also include in my workouts some stretching exercises, sit ups, a small amount of weight lifting and, of course, the shoulder pushups and the back exercises.

3 comments:

  1. Yea Howie! I'm glad you're in shape. Our hike up Diamond Head wouldn't have been an fun if we weren't in reasonably good shape.

    I can hardly wait for warm weather and walks with you again.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah great!! aim to be over 100 for sure... and still fish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. remember when we used to go jogging with you in the evenings to the cemetary or the elementary school? i guess you have always been good at keeping in shape :)

    ReplyDelete