Saturday, October 10, 2009

Bald Eagles

Besides the wonderful fishing, the South Fork of the Snake River is a great place to see bald eagles. You know John Denver’s song Rocky Mountain High - I know he'd be a poorer man if he never saw an eagle fly… Well the canyon stretch which is the 24 mile stretch from Conant to Byington has 5 Bald Eagle closure areas. These areas are actually within the first 10 miles of this stretch in between the various camping areas. Every float trip I have taken on this stretch of the South Fork I have seen Bald Eagles. The last float with my son-in-law Nick we saw the most I’ve ever seen. Also, what is nice about floating with Nick is that he is a wonderful photographer. Included in this section are some of the pictures we took on our float.

While keeping your eye on your fly or strike indicator, it is sometimes hard to notice the wildlife like the eagles. Part of the wonderful experience of the float, besides fishing, is the wildlife and scenery. There are also other types of beautiful birds you don’t see very often. Plus the mountains, trees, river, fall colors and other wildlife like garter snakes and raccoons are worth a few minutes of your attention. In previous blogs I’ve mentioned the moose and beautiful clear night skies. Enjoy it all!!!

Go ahead and click on the pictures in order to see the eagles better. They are majestic.

1 comment:

  1. wow! nick pointed that out to me when he showed me the pics. thats so cool that you get them in pictures.

    ReplyDelete