Sunday, October 4, 2015

Fly Fishing With The Air-Lock Strike Indicator

As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I am always on the lookout for a better strike indicator.  While at the Wasatch Fly Tying and Fly Fishing Expo this year I stumbled across a booth with new style of indicator, the Air-Lock strike indicator.  

It is very similar to the Thingamabobber but with a different method of attachment.  Rather than doubling over your leader to put it through a hole and then around the plastic bubble, the leader goes straight through a tightening mechanism so the line doesn’t kink.  This can be done by threading your leader through the hole in the tightening device if you don’t already have your flies tied on.  

It can also be done by removing the top of the tightening device by unscrewing it, placing the leader in the device, replacing the top and screwing it down tight.  

There is a gasket that the leader sits against that places pressure on the leader as the top is screwed on.  To adjust the indicator, unscrew the top a little so the leader easily slides up or down and then re-tighten it when it is in the desired location.  You will notice this leaves no kink upon making the adjustment. I’ve used the Air-Lock indicator on a couple of different fishing excursions and find they work flawlessly.  

I am no longer hesitant to make an adjustment because I worry about creating yet another kink in the line.  I find the Air-Lock floats well, is easy to adjust and stays secure where placed on the leader.  I wish I had these to use for the past couple of decades.  Way to go www.fishairlock.com

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely! So much more convenient to adjust and like you said, no kink. Great find!

    ReplyDelete