Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Streamer Fishing on the Middle Provo River



 I rigged up with a black wooly bugger and headed toward the deep pool that I had seen the previous week.  As I made my first cast, two playful labs, a black lab and a golden lab, jumped into the pool and looked at as if to say “aren’t you going to throw us something?”  Needless to say, all the fish in the pool were spooked.  The dogs’ owner rounded them up and apologized.  I just had to laugh.  The dogs just wanted someone who would play with them.   

Ron and I usually see 5 or 6 cars in the parking lot but rarely see anyone on the stream at this lower river location.  This is a perfect place to take dogs for a walk.  Sometimes we also see bike riders, bird watchers or just couples out for an evening stroll.  Even when I’m not fishing, I love being near the river.

Moving on downstream, I continued to streamer fish while Ron continued to nymph.   

Ron quickly caught a nice brown trout but it would be a good hour before hooking my first fish.  With streamer fishing, you have periods where you don’t catch anything for what seems like hours.  The consolation is that you are hoping to catch that one big one that makes it all worth it.  

This one wasn’t the one fish I was hoping for.  It was an alright sized brown, don’t get me wrong, just not one to brag about.  Shortly thereafter I caught a hatchery rainbow. 

Oh well, I was a nice evening being on the river catching fish.


2 comments:

  1. I bet you enjoyed seeing the dogs anyway. I bet you had a good time. I need to see a picture of a black wooly bugger sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are amazing, they look like they should be framed and displayed. That's so cute about the dogs, made me smile :)
    Sara

    ReplyDelete