Thursday, November 8, 2012

More Twenty Inch Rainbows on the Ham's Fork


With the success from the previous day, Nick and I couldn’t resist fishing the Hams Fork a second day.  The night was quite a bit warmer than the previous few nights and the day was gorgeous.  

We put our lunches in the back of our fishing vests and left our jackets in the car.

This time we went ahead and fished the best spots on our way downstream, being careful not to spook the fish. 
 

Beaver dams are quite noticeable here and we scared a large beaver on our way downstream. 


I went exploring a bit further downstream and crossed the fence to fish the public side of the river.  The water was deep but featureless.  I walked downstream around the next couple of bends of the river and took note that there didn’t appear to be any good fishing water as far as I could see.  Having learned this, I quickly returned to the private section and commenced fishing upstream. 

I started out fishing the shallow, somewhat riffled water which we overlooked the day before. 
 
Surprisingly I managed to catch a couple of large rainbows from this shallow stretch. 

As good as the fishing was, I was surprised we were the first fishermen there.  Later in the day we did see two others, but that was all.  We pretty much had the river to ourselves.

This day, Nick and I took turns fishing each hole.  This was enjoyable because we could congratulate each other on our successes, take pictures of one another’s catch, and aid in netting the fish if needed.  After I had successfully fished one particular hole, I told Nick to give it a try. 
 
After a couple of casts, he tied into a large one.  Not as long as the one the evening before, but one with a much larger girth.  The size of these fish is amazing. 
 
This was another wonderful day of catching many trout over 20 inches long.  Our only thought was, is it Thursday already? 

One crazy thing happened to me I have never seen before.  You know those dust devils, little whirl winds that kick up dust?  Well, as I was fishing, one develops on the water on the other side of the river.  This tunnel of water started whirling around and then took off across the river right at me.  Nick witnessed this as it happened.  He thought it was some animal or something that took off after me.  It sound like a boat prop right on top of the water.  Anyway, it hit me right on, like it was aiming for me.  My whole face ended up wet as well as my waders and everything.  It was really quite freaky. 

Back at the car, parked right next to us was a Hummer.  I wondered aloud to nick, would be a great fishing rig? Maybe, except for the gas mileage.

I took a few pictures of the ranches accommodations before we left. 
 
I resisted riding the blue bull swing.
 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! All these huge fish and a hurricane to boot. This sounds like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little water whirl wind thing was one of the strangest and most unexpected things I've ever seen. It wasn't even windy at that moment! Maybe next time we give that barrel a try.....maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're funny! Lol sorry it was Thursday already :) everything sounds so exciting on here! That whirlwind thing is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete