Saturday, November 5, 2011

Lufkin Bottom - Day 3

Thursday we only had five miles to float to our camp spot called Lufkin Bottom.  This stretch of water has some good cliffs, islands, gravel bars and deep holes.  We took our time at each stop. 


Around the first bend in the river we were met by two eagles sitting on a branch next to each other. The weather was perfect with little wind. We stopped on the other side of the river were it braided near some cliffs. 

We caught a few white fish here but not the numbers of trout we were hoping for.  I tried my luck with big streamers and had one hit with a rust colored Dungeon (the type my wife wears as earrings) but that was it. 

While fishing, Nick discovered a moose nearby.  This was a good start for the day.

Right after pushing off again, through the stretch we had just fished, Nick quickly caught another whitefish and then a nice cutthroat.

Nick tied on another dry fly, and he caught the fish we were after – a big brown. 

Catching a brown of this size on a dry just adds another level of excitement. 

Try it again.  Sure enough, Nick caught another good brown. 

Not as big as the previous one, but still good size.  Nick continued to catch a few more. 

Maybe it’s his turn to row now.  Just kidding, I think I caught a little cutthroat somewhere in there.

The Lufkin Bottom camp was just past another Eagle Reserve.  This seemed to be the most used camp of any we had camped in.  This is also the camp were we had a sandwich-stealing raccoon visit us last time we were there.  This time we made sure all containers were secure and even placed the totes on top of the cooler. 
Nick and I woke up the same exact instant to a sound right outside the tent.  I grabbed my camera, certain to get pictures of the raccoon this time.  I shined my flashlight out the tent’s mesh window.  It wasn’t a raccoon.  It was a skunk!  I took a picture but the reflection of the flash on the mesh made it so nothing could be seen. 

The skunk, seeing all the lights, quickly scampered back into the woods.  Thankfully never to be heard of again.  He knew we had a clean, secure camp. 

Now Andrew, Nick’s son who love’s animals can say “guess what, dad saw a beaver, a bald eagle, a golden eagle, a moose and a skunk!” Oh yeah, I also caught a garter snake earlier in the day.  I love wildlife too.  I think that’s a major part of fishing, all the wildlife you see.

2 comments:

  1. Yes I do love my orange dungeon earrings. I forgot you saw so much wildlife. The perfect thing to make a great phone call between Daddy Nick and Son Andrew. I'm glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete