Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Strong Fighting Rainbows of the Beaverhead River


Again, the real reason we are interested in the Beaverhead River – the fishing. The Beaverhead has the most consistent fishing for rainbow and brown trout between 18 and 20 inches long of any river or lake I have fished. The large rainbows we caught, besides the big one with the deformed lip that I wrote about in the post “The one that got away” were in the section above High Bridge. These fish were big and fought hard. I had several that I fought for quite a while and then they broke off. You can tell from the pictures that these fish look more like steelhead than resident rainbows. Several fishermen carry large nets in order to land these rainbows. Not the usual nets you see hanging off the back of a vest, but the large nets you use on a big lake with a boat. These fish will take you down river quite a ways, so be prepared to follow them downstream. You are not going to be able to bring them back by reeling them in where they were originally hooked. Better yet, it is best to have a partner who can stand down stream from you and help you net the trout. This trick worked well when I had Alex land a few for me. I wasn’t so lucky on a few others that took off downstream and I wasn’t able to keep up with them. One got me tangled around a log and another had me cross the river four times before he broke free. Fun fishing!

Another thing that was interesting was that these rainbows were not in the river seams, in pockets behind obstacles, in deep holes or in the deep sections near the bank or under trees. They were in fast water of a consistent depth just feeding out in the middle.

We caught the rainbows on pink Ray Charles, pink Bead Head Caddis Pupa, and small green mayfly nymphs and emergers sizes 16 to 20.

1 comment:

  1. we had my husband's whole fam over for dinner last night and nick showed everyone your blog!! they thought it was awesome. alex and nick's older brother brandon spent the most time on it and they think you should write a book :)

    ReplyDelete